Saturday, May 12, 2012

about cooking chicken Korma

I just made Cheesy Ham Stopover for dinner. We will see how well it goes over on my kids. I personally don't miss Macaroni and cheese, except for the price and ease of making it. But once in a while one wants cheesy macaroni. So this is the delux version all from scratch and with swedish cheese instead of cheddar.

I think it will go over but you never know. When we went to the states and ate at a mexican resturaunt none of them liked the food verywell. Yikes, what kinds of kids do I have? Instead of macaroni and cheese kids eat pasta with ketchup here. I haven't taken to that one either. And just as common is the swedish meatballs. That is good and so are most other swedish foods. But is is weird when my kids don't know or appreciate the most common foods in US.

On the good side, since I don't have many of the premade soups and stuff that new recipes call in the states I have to make good on old fashioned scratch cooking and my creativity. An example of this is yesterdays dinner. As opposed to todays I did not use a recipe yesterday. Instead I combined my knowledge of making sauces with my creativity and desire for a dish I learned to love in England. It is called Chicken Korma, an Indian dish. In England you could by the sauce premade for a good price. And buy Naan bread too. I actually saw Naan bread in store near the mexican and other foriegn foods. Its price for two pieces kept it out of my shoppingcart but the idea of Chicken Korma stuck and I grabbed a can of coconut milk.

So basically I took a general white sauce and used both chicken broth and coconut milk for the liquid, added seasoning, curry powder and chicken chunks. While that was cooking I decided I had to figure out if I could make Naan bread. I looked up a few recipes on line, chose one from England http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/12508/naan-bread (since that has such a strong influx of Indian food). Then I had to study it and use online converters to figure out how much of the swedish wet yeast I needed and do some more adapting due to the lack of all ingredients. Also I used the swedish trick to speed up the rising time. pop it in the oven on the lowest heat. It was actually quite easy, and the cooking time was only 3 minutes per two naans. So about 9 minutes total on the hottest temperature. That was lucky that they cook so fast since the rising time elapsed the cooking time for the sauce.
So dinner was a bit late. Daniel was so happy to have the full fancy meal he suggested that we pull out our nice dishes. So we made it a special meal. Served it with broccoli cauliflower and carrots.
Rebekah gets nonbreakable dishes, but she actually ate more of the Korma and rice than the rest of the kids. (in the background is the slowcooker I had made granola in it.)

Here Ella is holding her naan bread up she has a half piece. That is why you only cook two at a time.

Definantly a meal that we didn't mind having left overs. ;)

3 comments:

  1. Det där ser jättesmaskigt ut, Kat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Supermammor tar vara på allt som är bra omkring de och gör det ännu bättre! Precis som du!! KraM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hej- Catching up on your blog during a study break...I have a similar feeling about my kids' reactions to American food. I think it's easy to tell which two were born in Sweden merely by the foods they will or won't eat. My oldest two love peanut butter, are ambivalent about potatoes, dislike cucumbers and caviar from a tube. The youngest two don't want to have anything to do with peanut butter, eat potatoes in massive amounts, like cucumbers and do eat Kalles caviar and liver paste. But some foods do cross cultures as they all love mac and cheese and korv stroganoff. Your chicken korma and naan sounds delicious! Hugs to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete